|"Straightening out is about more than staying drug free; we need a place that is at once clean, safe and challenging to feel supported in our confusion. Treatment is about giving us time for the confusion to settle and giving us time to start recognising positive aspects of ourselves so that we can live drug free in our respective communities." - Anon|
Odyssey House Victoria has provided Supported Accommodation Assistance to individuals and families across Melbourne and rural Victoria for almost 10 years.
The aim of Supported Accommodation is to assist people undergoing a drug withdrawal program, or who need assistance in controlling their drug use, to achieve and sustain independent and addiction-free living within the community. Case Managers work in collaboration with participants to identify their goals, develop a treatment plan, and provide ongoing support and assistance with long-term housing options and referrals into other appropriate community services.
This vital program provides up to 12 month’s support and accommodation for up to over 100 clients and their children during the year. Most clients are recovering from alcohol and other drug problems which stem from past trauma, family breakdown, intergenerational violence, emotional or sexual abuse. Often, it is the security of having a stable home and hope for the future that allows someone to take the necessary steps to gain control of their life and integrate into the community.
Supported Accommodation aims:-
• To provide support to people experiencing substance issues who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
• To assist people who have undergone a drug withdrawal program or who need assistance in controlling their drug use
• To support and assist clients in controlling their drug use
• To assist clients to achieve independent, addiction free living
• To help prevent relapse
• To provide a safe and affordable environment for residents (and accompanying children) to live • To provide support to clients in relation to access to counselling and drug treatment services, education and training, income support, employment, culturally appropriate services, budgeting, health, legal issues and other issues where advocacy is required
• To link clients into other community-based services where support cannot be provided by Odyssey House
• To help residents secure long term accommodation
To be eligible for this support program, participants must be actively involved in an alcohol or other drug treatment program and be seeking stable accommodation.
Cost: Participants make a contribution toward accommodation and utilities from their social security payments.
Referral Form: Referral Form - Supported Accommodation