A specialist child, parenting and family support service for highly vulnerable families where a parent has an alcohol and/or other drug problem.
Kids in Focus is funded by the Australian Government Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs.
During the period from 2002 to 2009 Odyssey House Victoria undertook two projects to develop models of care for families where parents had a substance use problem. These projects, ‘Nobody’s Client’s and ‘Counting the Kids’, were developed out of concern that the needs of children and parents were not being addressed. The resulting model is a family centred approach that emphasises the safety and wellbeing of children in addition to parenting and family support. The success of the two projects led to Odyssey House Victoria being awarded the contract to provide Kids in Focus.
Kids in Focus provides a range of intensive interventions. The program aims to identify and address both the needs of the parents and their children. The program is delivered in partnership with Good Shepherd Youth and Family Service in Collingwood and Glastonbury Child and Family Services in Geelong.
Kids in Focus Services include
- Information and support
- Home based parenting education and support
- Counselling and case management
- Recreational and therapeutic groups for children and their families
- Child and family activities to enhance social connections
- Financial support for children’s needs through a brokerage fund
- Facilitated access to rehabilitation and supported accommodation
- Facilitated access to targeted respite services
- Post natal follow up and support
- Secondary consultation though telephone advice and support, offering assistance with immediate problem solving and information and skills development
- Opportunities for professional development and training
- Resources and information via the Odyssey House Victoria website
- Parents who have current substance dependence problems
- Parents with children in their care or working towards reunification
- Parents with (some) children between the ages of 0-13
Cost: This is a free service.
Contact: Kids In Focus